14. March 2011 14:22
Last week, Microsoft and Commerce Guys showed the first results of the ongoing work to use Azure as a cloud platform for Drupal.
How it works.
The project is today the combination of two modules for Drupal 7 :
- A database module for Sql Azure to get a highly available database when running in Azure
- Note that as of today, a lot of Drupal data are stored in this database, notably user sessions. One of the goals of the project is to minimize the database load by using local and distributed caches
- A storage module relying on Azure Blob Storage
- Azure blob storage is a highly scalable system for static content
- It can be optimized further by using Azure CDN
- The CDN can also cache dynamic content, leveraging standard http headers
- Which are defined by default in Drupal for cacheable content
Anyway, here are the slides :